Thursday, June 26, 2008

How Counting Calories Works

To be successful counting calories you need only the following things:

1. A notebook to write down your calorie consumption

2. A scale to weigh yourself with

3. A calculator to add up your calorie intake for each day

For me it is easiest to weigh my self as soon as I get up. In my calorie journal I will record the date and my weight at the start of the entry. Then I write down what foods I consume and the calories contained in that serving size.

As I go through the day I will total up the calories I have consumed so far in order to see if I am on track to meet my goal for the day. At the end of the day I draw a line to signify that I have written everything down, then I write the total number of calories I consumed.

If I happen to exercise I will record the type of exercise, how long I exercised for, and how many calories I burned in the process. It is really that easy. The hard part is recording everything on a consistent basis.

For about a year and a half now this is what I have done to lose weight. Along the way I have adjusted my eating habits but the core of what I do is just counting calories.

No comments: