Friday, June 27, 2008

Doughnut Days at Work

On Fridays where I work someone will inevitably bring in doughnuts, kolaches, or tacos to share. This is always a challenge for me to resist. I know that they will have way more calories than I need for breakfast, but it smells awesome!

I have learned to resist these tempting treats though. At first it was pretty difficult and I gave in a few times. However, when I added up my calories for breakfast including the treat I would be shocked. Not only did I consume enough calories for breakfast but also for about half my lunch!

In order to salvage my calorie counting efforts for the rest of the day I would try to adjust what I ate. But every time I indulged I found that at the end of the day I was still hungry or had gone over my calorie goal. There are just too many calories packed into such a small piece of food.

It took a few times for this to sink in. So today while there were some Krispy Kreme donuts to enjoy, I opted not to. Some may say that you only live once and should enjoy those treats, but that is the same mentality that made me overweight to begin with.

This is not to say that I don't enjoy any sort of sweets or desserts. On the contrary I quite often will have dessert after dinner. However, I do make sure that it won't make me go over the calorie limit that I set for myself. Luckily, the doughnuts go pretty fast so the temptation is not there for long.

No comments: